Pallone Announces $3.1 Million in Grants to Rehire 9 Cops in Long Branch, Asbury Park
Washington, D.C. – Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. Wednesday announced that five police officers in Asbury Park and four police officers in Long Branch will be rehired as a direct result of a grant awarded Tuesday by the Department of Justice. The New Brunswick Police Department also received a $1.6 million Community Oriented Policing Services grant to rehire seven police officers. In total, 78 officers will be rehired in New Jersey with $20 million in grants.
“More cops on the beat will have a direct impact keeping our kids safe as they go to and from school, preventing crime and decreasing police response time when crime does happen in Asbury Park and Long Branch,” said Pallone. “The COPS hiring program has effectively dropped crime rates in communities across the state and contributed significantly to filling the gaps in local budgets. Without this program, there would undoubtedly be more criminals on our streets.”
The COPS Hiring Program fully funds entry-level salaries and benefits for full-time police officers over a three-year period. Grant funding can be used to hire new officers, rehire officers who have been laid off and retain officers who are scheduled to lose their jobs as the result of budget cutbacks.
The following New Jersey communities have been awarded $20,780,027 in COPS Hiring Program grants:
- Asbury Park Police Department - $1,610,840 for five officers.
- Borough of Buena - $223,173 for one officer.
- Burlington Police Department - $642,164 for two officers.
- City of Camden - $3,794,966 for 14 officers.
- Township of Irvington - $1,986,472 for eight officers.
- Township of Little Egg Harbor - $595,568 for two officers.
- Long Branch Police Department - $1,518,388 for four officers.
- Millville Police Bureau - $1,171,476 for four officers.
- New Brunswick Police Department - $1,682,807 for seven officers.
- City of Newark - $6,028,700 for 25 officers.
- City of Vineland - $1,242,680 for five officers.
- Township of Westampton - $282,793 for one officer