Pallone Hosts Roundtable to Discuss Bold Infrastructure Plan
Woodbridge, NJ – Today, Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr. held a roundtable to discuss his framework that would make transformative infrastructure investments in the U.S. He was joined by first responders, labor leaders, and environmental advocates.
Last month, Pallone announced a $760 billion investment plan with other House Democratic leaders that would address some of the country’s most urgent infrastructure needs, including investments in surface transportation, rail and transit systems, airports, ports and harbors, wastewater and drinking water infrastructure, brownfields, clean energy and broadband. It will also modernize 9-1-1 public safety networks, making sure that first responders have access to real time information and ensuring that their response is efficient and effective.
“New Jerseyans know just how important good and reliable roads, bridges, and trains are for safe and timely commutes to school and work. There is no better way to strengthen our economy for the future than to modernize our badly aging infrastructure. This bold framework not only helps us rebuild our nation, it also combats climate change by reducing carbon emissions and moving us toward a clean energy future,” Congressman Pallone said. “It will create good paying jobs, ensure that no community is left behind in the digital economy and help protect Americans’ drinking water. These are investments that we must make for the American people, and I look forward to moving this proposal forward in Congress.”
The infrastructure plan would invest in improvements that:
- Bring existing infrastructure into a state of good repair and enables the completion of critical projects through long-term, sustainable funding.
- Modernize 9-1-1 public safety networks.
- Set a path toward zero carbon pollution from the transportation sector, creating jobs, protecting our natural resources, promoting environmental justice, and increasing resiliency to climate change.
- Ensure a transportation system that is green, affordable, reliable, efficient and provides access to jobs.
- Provide safe, clean, and affordable water and wastewater services.
- Prioritize the safety of the traveling public.
- Help combat climate change by creating good-paying jobs in clean energy, investing in energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas pollution.
- Expand broadband internet access, adoption for unserved and underserved rural, suburban, and urban communities.
- Create family-wage jobs with Davis-Bacon and other strong worker protections.
- Support U.S. industries, including steel and manufacturing, through strong Buy America protections.
“Woodbridge Township stands in partnership with Congressman Frank Pallone’s transformative infrastructure investment initiative that will serve to strengthen Next Generation 9-1-1 emergency service communications and regional infrastructure needs,” said Woodbridge Township Mayor John E. McCormac. “We are extremely proud to have served as the host community for the Congressman’s announcement and roundtable discussion which incorporated the participation and expertise of the Woodbridge Township First Response community.”
“The House Democrats’ infrastructure plan offers important funding for New Jersey’s roads and bridges, electric grid, and water infrastructure. The $12 billion in funding for updating our 9-1-1 systems is especially important for 9-1-1 operators,” said Deborah Spencer, Secretary of Local 195 IFPTE. “This new technology will help save lives by allowing the first responders I talk to every day to better assess the nature of an emergency and reach people in need.”
“We thank Congressman Pallone for his efforts to repair the nation’s crumbling infrastructure to meet our 21st-century needs,” said Ed Potosnak, Executive Director, New Jersey LCV. “We are especially excited that the proposal will put us on a path toward zero carbon pollution from transportation, provide clean and affordable drinking water, and help combat climate change by creating good-paying clean energy jobs, investing in energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas pollution. We’re proud to stand with our hometown Congressman as he showcases his leadership in addressing the critical issues our country faces.”
“I’m thrilled to see the House put forward a comprehensive framework which would enable the U.S. to address the dire state of our country’s infrastructure, while putting the country on a path towards zero emissions from the transportation sector and increasing climate resiliency,” said Chuck Feinberg, Executive Director of New Jersey Clean Cities Coalition. “The framework also supports the development and deployment of alternative fuel and electric vehicles and associated infrastructure by strengthening support for the highly effective locally-based Clean Cities Coalitions and other programs. The leadership on these issues shown by Congressman Frank Pallone has been invaluable and is greatly appreciated.”
Text of the framework is available here.
A factsheet is available here.