Pallone Attends Sandy Hook Re-Opening Ceremony

May 1, 2013 Issues: Hurricane Sandy, New Jersey

 

Long Branch, NJ – Today, Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr., (NJ-06) celebrated the opening of Sandy Hook for the first time since Superstorm Sandy at a ceremony held by the National Park Service.

“Sandy Hook suffered extensive damage and was one of the hardest hit locations on the shore, but its reopening today shows that the people of New Jersey are resilient and determined,” said Congressman Pallone. 

“Tourism is a major driver of New Jersey’s economy, and nowhere is that clearer than at Sandy Hook, where millions of visitors flock each year to enjoy the beach, biking and running paths, and fishing.  I fought hard for the more than $37 million that was allocated by Congress for the park’s repairs and worked with the National Park Service to make sure that Sandy Hook could be opened as soon as possible, because I believe this is a smart federal investment promoting economic growth here in New Jersey.”

After the storm, Congressman Pallone worked with the National Park Service to ensure that Sandy Hook was able to reopen as soon as possible.  Pallone toured Sandy Hook last month to view the damage and progress, and he has helped secure over $37 million in federal funding for the park’s recovery. 

“While work still needs to be done, the opening of Sandy Hook is another sign to people all over the country that the Jersey Shore is open for business,” said Pallone.

 

###